The Cities

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Driving back from Minneapolis, the sun behind me cast golden hues of a summer's evening on both sides of the highway, illuminating the rolling pastures and farms of Wisconsin's countryside. As the evening wore on and shadows across the highway crept longer, the sky turned first a deep blue, and then a soft lavender canopy with an orange sunset just on the horizon. The air was sweet and thick with those wonderful and indescribable summer scents—and the occasional draft of cow shit: simply a sign that I was returning home. If there ever was a golden day of summer, today was that day.

It was a fitting closing to a fantastic weekend, beginning with Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and continuing with a Saturday morning drive to the Twin Cities to visit one of my best friends and meet her roommate, with whom I knew I'd get along as soon as I saw her tattoo: an ampersand on her foot. Typography brings people together. We made a delicious pasta dish, listened to all sorts of music, and had both memorable and hilarious conversations. I gained a much greater appreciation for that city, with its old buildings and neighborhoods, its interesting eateries and shops, and its incredible radio station, The Current.

I wish I could have spent another day there, or perhaps another week. A little over a day will have to suffice, however, and so I can only look forward to the next time I visit. Calvin and Hobbes tend to say it best: "If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?"

Comments

Post a Comment