Small Spaces

Monday, January 19, 2009

Last night I ate dinner with my folks and a couple of our family friends over at their beautiful Arboretum home. While I sat on the couch listening to the conversation and half-watching the football game, I spied this fascinating little book called Living in Small Spaces and spent much of the evening paging through it, enthralled.

Given my intended educational track, I'll be living in "small spaces" for the next decade or so, and yet the ingenuity required to live comfortably in such a space makes me think again about ever buying a larger-than-average home*. It's akin to the phrase "brevity is the soul of wit" — if you only have so much space to put your shit, you've got to figure out how to store it intelligently. A small home (or apartment) also lends itself, perhaps counter-intuitively, to entertaining; parties, gatherings, and soirée's ought to bring people together, and a large room only encourages wall-polarity.

* As a kid, I used to tape about six sheets of white construction paper together, and lay out a rough blueprint of my future "house," which generally had at least two swimming pools, a baseball stadium, a McDonald's, a theme-park, a mall, and a bedroom or two. I also usually drew in Great White Sharks circling the premises, hidden in the depths of my moat.

Comments

my room was always circular, had a window seat, and had a 9-foot concert grand in it.

I like your style.

I've always imagined small houses with lots of nooks and shelves for walls. Nooks and books! The whole place would hopefully smell like a tree. I think at one point, it was in a tree.

Totally! In the aforementioned book, this one person had an Art Deco-themed living room with bookshelves that wrapped around the room, seemingly from floor to ceiling. I was all like :D

in 4th grade we had to write an essay about what we'd do with a million dollars. I built myself a several story living quarters with a bowling alley, pool, skating rink, etc on different floors. And when I was about to run out of money I wrote, "Then I would buy a lottery ticket with the last $10 and win another 10 million" and I kept going :)

Recursively rich!

Post a Comment